Monday, January 11, 2010

Electronics workshop organization 2

Storage Boxes & Bins
Storage Boxes and Bins

Electronics Work bench


Example Spreadsheet



Part of the Master Alphabetic Control Sheet

Since my last post I am pleased to say that I have now completed my electronic workshop organization. The catalog system worked out pretty well. I struggled with the handling of misc items and ended up with two large Bins. One for misc small items and one for misc large items.
I then devised an alphabetic Master Sheet which has hyperlinks linking to each spreadsheet. It is a simple matter of clicking on the item in the alphabetic list. I am then taken to the correct sheet for the component category. The system has a large set of spreadsheets since i developed a spreadsheet for every component category. This will allow me to easily add components to each spreadsheet. It also makes the maintenance of the hyperlinks very easy. I have not counted the number of spreadsheets but I reckon there must be at least 40 spreadsheets in the workbook.
In a few cases I have found it necessary to point to a sheet which then points out the BIN number in different BOXES. For example MICROPHONES. Clicking on MICROPHONES will take me to the MICROPHONE sheet. On this sheet some large mics are stored in the misc large items bin and the smaller mics are stored in the plastic fishing containers. Phew! More difficult to explain it than to do it!
I have now used the system in the process of building my first project which is a Direct Conversion Receiver. It certainly is a pleasure to be able to pick resistors capacitors and wires directly from the a BOX and BIN. It is abit of a pain to update the catalog with the new quantity once the item is removed. This will require extreme discipline in order to maintain. I may in fact revert to a periodic stock taking method after a while.
Refer to the attached pics in order to get some idea of my new setup.

No comments:

Post a Comment